16 March, 2009

Reflections on Chiaroni

It's unmistakeable. Gregori Chiaroni is very proud of his Italian-New Zealand heritage. Clearly proclaimed on his website, "Gregori Chiaroni " is Greg Mc Donald's trademarked Italian moniker, using his mother's family name.

About the change, Chiaroni remarks, "The trademark was about making sure the name was carried on as there aren't that many of us in New Zealand. Also, it was a way of acknowledging my mother's side. I have carried the McDonald name all my life because society says that is what you do. I ask why? All of us come from two people so why not acknowledge both your mother and your father."

In an already crowded art world, the distinct name helps set him apart from other artists. Challenged initially by others about the swap, Chiaroni insisted on keeping the name. No one could give a good reason not to. He discovered when he looked for "Greg McDonald" on searched engines, it was really common . The switch helps in marketing his work. There is only one Gregori Chiaroni.

"In the end everybody saw what I was doing was a good thing. Of course they used to joke around and give me a bit of a hard time...but now they think its choice," reflects Gregori.

His great-grandfather, Mansueto Chiaroni, was proprietor of an art and framing business in Invercargill established soon after coming to New Zealand in the 1890's. It was located above the present Wensleys bike shop, and his great uncle, likewise, set up an art gallery in Dunedin. With an uncle Peter and a cousin Luca interested in art during Gregori's youth, perhaps it was a natural for him to pursue a BFA from Otago Polytechnic.

Born in the "Southern-most city in the world", this Invercargill-born artist is equally proud of his Southern roots. Chiaroni says, "I loved growing up in Southland. My school life was amazingly good and I made the best friends. I love Southland and I am extremely proud of where I come from. The people there are the best you will meet anywhere.

"I was blessed to have met my mentor and great friend there when I was a young man. His name is Johnny Penisula. He is the kindest, most humble man I know. I look up to him and I am heavily influenced by his work. Although I express that influence on my work in my way. He understands my work, he knows not to ask the usual silly questions, like who is that or do you know that person. Instead he just looks and finds his own meaning. I will be forever grateful for the knowledge he has bestowed on me, and I will always cherish our friendship. Over the years we have become very close.

When asked which other artists he admires, he responds, all the New Zealand artists that are making a good comfortable living as an artist, that are living the dream.

Chiaroni envisages joining their ranks soon. He continues, "At the moment I am not making a living from my work. This is the ultimate goal for me...I am on the right track I think, but at the moment its hard to concentrate full time on my work because I am teaching in Singapore. I have been mostly concentrating on completing commission work I have picked up over here from expats. I live here with my partner, Tahlee Henry.

"We would like to travel from here also...we will return to NZ one day and eventually we would love to set up in Rarotonga. I'd like to complete a masters in fine arts when we return to NZ. Other goals I have are to own a restaurant gallery, buy a house, get married and have lots of children!

"I have been offered a show with the Agora Gallery in New York City. I haven't committed to a date because I just can't say when Ill have enough work completed." He adds that he looks to confirm a date with them soon. "All I can say right now is watch this space."

When asked about a possible spiritual aspect to his work, because of the sensitively rendered image of Christ on his website, Gregori acknowledges, "My work is spiritual. I am a spiritual person. I'm not convinced in any one religion. I'm a free thinker and I respect everyone's right to believe in what ever they want. I believe in people and being a good person no matter what your religion or race."

Reflections is the latest Chiaroni exhibition on now until 27 March at The Bank Gallery. Many works are of Maori or Pacific people and deal with racial themes, for example, the blond haired brown eyed and brown haired blue eyed duo in the fun and funky Sweet Mix Kids. Others are interpretations of environmental and global challenges. All but one of his paintings on offer are bigger than life and demand attention.

The one smaller exception is my favourite, Wahine Rangatahi. I like the striking contrast of shadows on the mahogany coloured face against a background reminiscent of oceanic blues. The only thing that deterred from the brilliance, unfortunately, is the florescent lighting illuminating it and thereby muting the colours a bit.

Multi-Culture Aotearoa is a bit of an enigma in that the two canvases of this diptych are rendered in two distinct styles. The yellow hued scripted background is a unifying element in both pieces. Is the decidedly different approach to the figures in the separate panels deliberate? The Pacific/Maori man with blue eyes is brooding, very stylistic with drips and treated with looser applications of media. I love the vibrancy and implied texture of this figure. The lovely, sunny-faced woman on the other panel is more in keeping with the smoothly brushed surfaces of Chiaroni's other deftly painted figures. Is this a portend of the painter's future artistic direction? Please, go have a look and tell me what you think of this striking diptych.

"This piece is a visual image of the fastest growing population of people in Aotearoa today. Pakeha, Maori, Asian and Pacific Island sweet mix kids. The population of Aotearoa aged between 1 and 30 and of mixed ethnicity is the highest it has ever been since the migration of Europeans, Pacific Islanders and Asian peoples to Aotearoa began. Embrace it, enjoy it, live it", enthuses Gregori.

What thoughts come to you as you as you view of the works on display at the upstairs venue on Bank Corner in Invercargill. Other pieces in the show include 50/50, Surround Them With Knowledge, Youth Culture, Within Whose Hands Does Our Future Trust? I'd love to know which one is your favourite. You are welcome to post your thoughts here in the "comments" below.

Reflections, an imposing, well-considered exhibition showcasing the promising talent of Southland-bred Gregori Chiaroni, ends 27 March.


The Bank Art Gallery . 21 The Crescent Invercargill . Phone 03 218 6634

Open Weekdays 10 to 5






No comments:

Post a Comment